Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The morning after...

Whew. That was amazing. I felt like the most popular girl in the world yesterday - Queen for a Day!



For the record, this particular tiara that I pulled out of Kiddo's collection is the one from the infamous Princess birthday party. Fancy! Also, this enables everyone who is curious to see that (a) I have not gotten any sort of body wave/perm - yet - and (b) my hair is as Wolverine Fawcett-van Beethoven-y as ever. Clearly, I do not have any kewl photo-editing software like, say, the Photoshop Elements 7 that SITS is giving away this month (click on that link, you KNOW you want to enter! No, wait, on second thought, don't, 'cause I need that software, as is made obvious by the picture above...) Yes, if I had that software, you'd be seeing less chin(s) and blotches and more even, peachy complected, matte-finish skin, and possibly George Clooney right next to me, photoshopped in to look like he's thrilled to have my expansive behind parked on his lap.

I am still reeling from the commenty love you guys just heaped upon my blog yesterday. Really, it couldn't have been more fantabulous - this totally makes up for the time when I got a measly two Valentines in my oh-so-hopefully decorated shoebox in grade school one year. (Also why I now insist that Kiddo brings Valentines for EVERYONE in her class each V Day. Humph.) I've begun responding to each and every one of you - all 272 hits to my blog which is by far a one-day record for me! - but there were a few popular comment topics that I thought I'd address right here.

First off, the hair. Well, the picture above should handle the burning question of "Has Heather given up and shaved her head yet, or gone the other way and bought herself some of those Paris Hilton extensions they sell at the kiosk in the middle of the poshest mall in her town?" Well, no and no. For a brief, three day period a couple of weeks ago, it seemed like I'd gone past the Wolverine stage and into a more Mom-esque, feathery 'do, but it turns out my hair was just messing with me, because it is even more Wolverine-y than ever. If you want further photographic chuckles of the Heather Hair Follies, you can follow the progression to today's voluminous wonder by checking out this post from early June and this one from a few weeks later. Please note that all photographs in these posts as well as the one above were taken by me, so without benefit of great distance (my arms are long, but not nearly long enough) or fancy angles.

Regarding the splintery badness, Kiddo's hand did recover fully within a few weeks, even with the doctor leaving over a dozen shards of playground still stuck in her hand. Today, there's not even a scar left on her palm, yay polysporin! (Her knees, on the other hand, are a topographical map of Places Kiddo Has Wiped Out scars. Her record for not falling over the past year is 12 days. We need one of those signs like they post for workplace injuries in factories for how many days we've gone without Kiddo skinning, scraping, slicing or otherwise banging up her knees...) And Kiddo's line about not being done with her tears yet? I'm so not making that up - she says that EVERY time she's crying, usually when we're trying to dab at the snot running full-tilt from her nose with a tissue as she sobs. Hubby and I will be all "But we just want the snot, you can KEEP your tears...." but there's no drying or wiping allowed until she is good and ready to be done. At that point, she usually lets us know by coming over and wiping her gooey, tear-spattered face all over our clothes...

As for Jeopardy, yep, I was on there. You should realize that since my name is "Heather" and not "Ken Jennings" that I didn't win big. Actually, I didn't win at all. I came in second. This was back in 2003, well, the episode taped in November of 2002 and aired in March of 2003. I'll tell you all about the whole experience if you're interested, just say the word. In the meantime, I'll always have this:



(the original of this shot is sitting in its Official Jeopardy Glass Frame on the Shelf of Honor in one of our living room bookcases, right next to the pictures of me with Eddie Izzard and Penn and Teller...)

I was extra pleased to meet a couple of other SITStas who are either adopted or are parents through adoption, just like me and just like me, and some other moms of kids with SPD, too!

Oh, and I thought I would share the Posts That Almost Were Featured, in case you wanted to check them out instead of wandering aimlessly through the miles of words I've posted here since I began blogging earlier this year. I had a hard time picking three posts, and these were other strong contenders:

Wherein I discover that Hubby and I aren't exactly on the same page: Oh, erm, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind

Why I don't work out as often as I should: If you're reading this in the buff, I don't want to know...

Because I am so shy and retiring as well as being an intensely private person: My most embarrassing moments

In which I am almost done in by the Peppercorn of Death: Company social event

There isn't enough spandex and lycra in the world....: Thar she blows!

And if that isn't enough for you and you're just dying to know even more about yours truly, you can check out my 100 Things for my 100th post or any one of the memes I've done (I love me some memes - either doing them or reading them on other folks' blogs) by clicking on the "meme" label over on the left.

Okay, before I wrap this up, I have to say something that has been weighing heavily upon me. (No, I am not referring to the bag of Cheez Doodles I inhaled during my last bout of PMS, either.) There is just one thing that bummed me out majorly about my big Featured SITS Blogger day. I know, I know - she's complaining?! Really?!? Well, it must be said. I'm extremely disappointed that out of all of you who visited and left me comments yesterday, not a single one of you gave me George Clooney's email address or phone number. Come on, now, we're all within six degrees of separation from each other, right? Heck, even six degrees of Kevin Bacon from each other would get me to George..... (George was in The Thin Red Line with Sean Penn, who was in Mystic River with Kevin Bacon, so that's two degrees.) Someone has got to at least know someone who knows The Man Himself... really, no one could hook me up? How about Alan Rickman? Eddie Izzard? Not even an email? No? Nothing? Phooey. Oh, I know - you're saving it for my birthday, right? You looked on my profile, saw I'm a December baby and thought "George's (or Alan's or Eddie's) phone number would make the PERFECT 37th birthday present for Heather!" Yep, that's what I'm going with - I never said I didn't live in the land of delusion! I'll just bide my time until mid-December, and by then I'll be so wonked out on Christmas stuff I'll have forgotten all about this egregious slight.

In all seriousness though, I want to give a heartfelt THANK YOU for making my big day so utterly amazing! I hope you will stop by again sometime, and I promise I'll be stopping by all of your wonderful blogs in the coming days, too. SITS rocks!

12 comments:

~Trish~ said...

Oh sorry, I forgot to...georgeisahottie@wehavenochanceinbeep.com

:)

Ash said...

I so need to figure out how to get my 2-year-old to entertain himself for the next couple of hours so that I can enjoy all your stuff!

How old is old enough for Wii?

Fine. I'll be back during nap time.

Em

Anonymous said...

Hi! Have just discovered SITS! Glad to hear you had a great time as Queen for a Day.

Anonymous said...

you kill me Heather...

BITR Country Girl said...

I'm glad you had a great SITS day! Have fun commenting on all the other SITS blogs!

Ronnica said...

I'm a December baby too (the 15th)...what's your b-day?

I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable SITS day!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great SITS day! And that is so cool that you were on Jeopardy!

david mcmahon said...

Make that 273 hits!

taratoons said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today via BATW! I bet it was a lot of fun to be on Jeopardy! Can't wait to hear the story!

Barbara DeBose said...

Ok it's official I am going to be your new blog stalker. And, you like Eddie Izzard, you are way beyond being cool!!!

Barbara DeBose said...

Ok it's official, you are in my fav 7 and you've been tagged.

Please visit my blog for details.

www.createdbybd.blogspot.com

(so you know i'm a stalker when I visit more than once in the same night)

What A Card said...

I'm really loving your blog! And how cool to be on Jeopardy! I recently read Prisoner of Trebekistan and really enjoyed it. Yes, I have unfulfilled wanna-be-on-Jeopardy fantasies :)