Monday, October 27, 2008

Jane Fonda's got nothing on me!*

Lately, I've been feeling kind of like this:



Which leads to me feeling like this:


But when catching a glance of myself before my eyeglasses were mercifully removed to get in the shower this morning, I saw this:



I knew I had to do something. So, I re-resolved to get my assorted rolls-n-dimples over to the gym regularly, starting today. (I must be firm with myself or I'll never go.) And so I put on my workout clothing and sneaks, threw Kiddo in the car, drove up to the corner (hey, it was cold, besides) and as soon as I'd seen her onto the bus, I drove immediately over to the Y, do not pass go, do not spend the morning snacking and blogsurfing.

Once I'd left my stuff in a locker, I decided to get the bad news over with. You see, along with the whole "not exercising regularly" thing I've had going on, I've been eating worse than usual of late, as well. Kiddo is on a Cheez Doodle kick, so I've been using that excuse - "they're for her lunch!" - to buy and keep Doodles in the house. And I've been eating the majority of them. Me, not Kiddo. I parcel them out so sparingly to her - a mere handful in one of those itty-bitty snack-sized baggies - but the bag has been empty before week's end nonetheless. (Pardon me while I lick the telltale orange powder off my fingers....) It isn't just Cheez Doodles, either. This month, between PMS and stress from all the ongoing ridiculousness with the school district's IEP noncompliance (and yes, that *is* still going on - how happy I will be when we've moved to another district for next year!!), I've been eating and eating and eeeeeeeating. Like I said,



So, I was expecting to find a gain of at least four or five pounds when I hopped on the gigantic, "slide the weights over much too far to the right" old-school scale in the Y locker room. At the best, I was hoping to have remained at the weight I was when last I hopped aboard the scale, which was during my last big working out kick too many moons ago.

Lo and behold..... I've LOST six pounds! SIX POUNDS! From doing NOTHING except blogging and eating and blogsurfing some more... Perhaps it is my extremely fast typing speed, but apparently blogging appears to really be burning calories...

Now, don't worry, I didn't take this weight loss as a sign I should immediately head for home and plunk myself down in front of the computer with a bowl of Cheezy goodness at my side. I was so excited, I made a beeline for the elliptical trainer and pounded out a little over a mile and a half in less than half an hour (it helped that I was totally absorbed in the Today Show, as I forgot to grab a book on my way out the door this morning). Considering I usually average a 20 minute mile on the elliptical and that I hadn't worked out in eons, doing 1.7 miles in 27 minutes was pretty good! I headed towards the weight circuit, but it was chock full of people so I wound up bagging that plan and headed off to get a haircut (my bangs were halfway down my nose) instead.

I plan to continue this routine of putting Kiddo on the bus and then heading straight to the gym in the morning and see whether I can purposefully lose some more weight between now and, say, my birthday (mid-December) or Christmas... That way when I take to the dance floor at Hubby's office holiday party this year, his coworkers won't see this:

Heather's Holiday Party Dance Moves

And with any luck (I know, it isn't luck, it's hard work and dedicated effort...) I might be able to say goodbye to a few chins and a jeans size or two!



* Yeah, I name-checked Ms. "Haven't been an exercise guru since the 80s" Fonda in the title of this post. It was between her and Richard Simmons. Sadly, my Workout Mavens References are all woefully out of date. If anyone has a suggestion more current (Susan Powter? Suzanne Somers and her Thighmaster?) I'd be happy to hear it! In the meantime, Jane stays...

14 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Heather. Thanks for stopping by my "new" blog. You are gonna love volunteering in the cafe! Good luck with your workouts. I will think about you while I am on my tredmill.

Smoochiefrog said...

It's all about Jillian and The Firm girls nowadays.

I've been totally slacking lately too. I need to get back in the groove myself.

Unknown said...

LMAO I swear I could have written that post. Too funny. Bwahahahaha. You crack me up girl, I especially love the doughboy. I had him bookmarked on my other comp but haven't gotten around to add him to this one yet so thanks for the reminder. :)

WheresMyAngels said...

Way to go!!! Somehow I have lost 6 pounds also, by adding candy bars BACK to my daily diet! Go figure.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I didn't get to the gym today but did do 30 minutes on the Wii fit last night.

I will have to see if I feel like dragging everyone to the Y tomorrow morning to get a workout in.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the morning laugh (dancing doughboy!!) Congrats on the weight loss. Who knew cheez doodles did that huh? ;)
And now I want to go watch Monsters Inc, I love Roz!

Anonymous said...

Funny and so true. I found you from the SITs blog comments and I'm so glad I did! I was a SAHM for a long time, gained the extra weight and only realize now that I've got a very part-time job that requires more than sweats :) - as the mom of an autistic son, I know all too well the joys of IEPs. Yuck.

Have a great day!

Elisabeth said...

Yay! That is fabulous...the six pounds and the very great workout! And the dancing doughboy link? So very funny! How on earth did you come across that?

Toots said...

Thanks for coming by and commenting! I'm trying to get the hang of this blog world . . . I'm loving it. And I just started exercising myself, I mean today, just started. I went on a walk through my entire neighborhood with a friend and our babies in strollers. Isn't it empowering to work-out! See ya around . . .

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the weight loss! I'm trying to lose some too before I go on vacation in April....Want to look FABULOUS when I go see my cowboys in Idaho! ;)

Paige said...

Good for you--I start my new program when the time changes. I just cannot get it done when there is still day light after work, but watch out baby when it is DARK!

Debbie said...

You may be on to something if you can prove blogging help you lose weight! Instead of Curves in every strip mall, you can set up computers and call it "Blogs". I sense a fortune.

Andrea said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I noticed though, that the second video's music was automatically switched to the new song, so I'm sorry you couldn't enjoy it in all its David Bowie splendor! My husband can't understand why Labyrinth was one of my childhood favorites. =) Also - way to go on the eliptical! Those things kick my butt. I started working out for the first time yesterday as well. I have a "Biggest Loser" DVD. Man, I've never sweat so much in my life but I feel good (although a little sore) today. Keep up the good work!

Carrie said...

I need to bring a playpen over to our clubhouse so I can get my fat a$$ moving! I am so lazy it's ridiculous! I need to find a workout partner so I have someone who can beat me down and make me feel bad when I don't exercise!