Friday, October 3, 2008

Life away from the blogosphere

Whew, what a whirlwind week it's been for me! Being lucky enough to be a featured blog at both SITS and BATW (and thanks again to everyone who dropped by on my featured days!) has kept me glued to my computer screen, reading and returning comments (still working on that, too) and getting sucked into everyone else's wonderful blogs.

But in my "real" life (you know, the one that doesn't involve a keyboard and cable modem), there's been big stuff going on, too. For example, on Tuesday Kiddo had her "special day" in kindergarten. She was the Special Helper and line leader all day (and everyone who knows a kindergartner knows what a Big Deal that is!), and in the afternoon, she did her carefully prepared All About Me presentation. Hubby, one of Kiddo's grandmas and I were in attendance for the presentation. (Yes, I tore myself away from the computer for a few hours during my big SITS day!) Kiddo did a GREAT job telling her class all about her, and I quickly realized the reason she wanted to do two posterboards full of pictures was to enable herself to get maximum usage out of the pointer. The pointer, which was practically longer than she is tall, and which miraculously didn't brain or poke the eyes out of any of her classmates during her talk - though it did come close enough times to make my blood pressure spike alarmingly...



Then last night was the kindergarten Open House. Kiddo was SO excited to take Hubby and me through her school and show us all the different rooms, like the art studio, gym, music room and library. The only problem there was that the art studio was the only room open, so Kiddo was sorely disappointed that she couldn't show us the other rooms (as a child after her mama's own heart, she wanted to show us the library most of all). We did get to meet all the "specials" teachers, though, and it was nice to put faces with the names of both the teachers and students we've been hearing about for weeks now. Getting to see all the projects they've done (and they've done a LOT for only having been in school one month - guess that's in part due to them being in school all day instead of a half day) was a treat, too.

Today is school picture day, and I volunteered to help out for a shift, mostly because I want to be there to run a comb through Kiddo's hair before her photo is taken, and also make sure her glasses haven't gone askew. I don't know how she does it, but Kiddo manages to become completely disheveled within moments of walking out of our front door. Seriously, it will look like the child has never seen the business end of a hairbrush or washcloth within seconds... So, off I go to school, and then to the butcher shop. Today was day 7 of the bologna I bought on my last trip to the butcher, and it smelled funky. I mean funky for bologna - bologna always smells bad to me, but this was extra-bad. Kiddo was disappointed not to have her beloved bologna and provolone for lunch, too. That is what she wants every single day, much to my chagrin. Then again, when I was in first grade, I wanted a cream cheese and grape jelly sandwich on white bread - no crusts, raisins, carrot sticks and chocolate milk every single day, so maybe Kiddo's not so weird. Do your kids want the same thing for lunch every day, or is this just a weirdness that Kiddo and I share(d)?

11 comments:

Ash said...

My eldest doesn't eat his lunch, which consists of a turkey hotdog and a cut up apple. His "lunch" time? 10:20 in the a.m.!

And since he eats two helpings of pancakes, plus a bowl of oatmeal on some days, for breakfast, I can see why lunch is more like snack time in his world.

Bologna and provolone? Color me impressed! And how quaint is a trip to the butcher? Sounds way cooler than heading to the local Super Target.

Happy weekend!

Em

Unknown said...

Essie ate a PB&J every day for 2 years when she was in preschool... that is ALL she wanted.

Anonymous said...

My girls always want variety.... they are the fussiest eaters and like very little things, yet they want their lunches to be different EVERY day... I would love to be able to make them the same thing all the time...

Hubby on the other hand ALWAYS wants the same thing - I told him to tell me when he is tired of it, still haven't heard!!!

BITRCountryGirl said...

I'm not real fussy when it comes to sandwiches....just as long as there is NO white cheese of any kind on it we're all good. I'm glad that Kiddo had a great day at school and that you had a couple great days being the featured blogger! Have a great weekend!

~Trish~ said...

Ok I have to comment on the picture, that is so damn cute! She's like a lil teacher and the kids are glued to every word she's saying!!

Brian and Staci said...

Can I just say....I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! I LOVE THE NAME OF YOUR BLOG!!! I'm so coming back when I have time to read...oh yea...it's Staci...from Oklahoma JUST now getting to re-spread the love from my day in the BATW spotlight! Thank you for your kind words and yep...Toby Keith IS from Oklahoma...actually, Moore, Oklahoma and my Uncle sees him ALL the time and is on a first name basis with him! KInda cool huh! If you ever are around my neck of the woods...just give me a call :) Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I give a few choices, usually between leftovers and something else.

She would be happy with the same thing every day though.

Anonymous said...

I've always loved Open House. As a kid, and now as a Parent. I have yet to miss one!

Followed the SITSa-brick-road!

Ronnica said...

Fun times with Kiddo! Sometimes things like this make ME want to go back to school, I mean all the way back...

Still haven't recovered from the SITS/BATW high, have you? I'm going to be essentially unplugging for the weekend. I'm worn out!

Melissa Lester said...

I am a little late in visiting you from BATW, but it's nice to stop in here again. Your daughter looks so cute and confident giving her presentation. Could we have a future teacher here?

My kids love their daily faves for lunch, too. My oldest is in fourth grade, and I think he would eat PB&J every day of the week if allowed. My third would love a bagel with cream cheese every day. I'm trying to stay on the Special K diet right now, and I wish I could be content with the same food each day and so little of it. (Maybe I should not be trying to communicate -- or talk about food -- late in the afternoon when I'm starving.)

Nicole said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

My 7-year old either wants a CHEESE sandwish (of all things...) or a tuna sandwich. That is IT. No PB&J for this kid. I am not sure if he belongs to me or not! :o)