Sunday, October 19, 2008

Book recommendation

Our public library does a reader review thing, where they paste a sheet of paper inside the back cover of a book for readers to rate and comment on the book when they've finished it. From time to time, I will check out a book solely based on the ratings and comments. Usually, I tend to agree with the majority opinion - I only will select a "random" book if the rating average is at least a 7. The book I just read this afternoon was one of these selections. However, this was the first time I'd flipped a book open to the reader review page and seen such unanimously high marks given. Twelve of the thirteen spots for reviews were completed, and the lowest rating given, on a scale of 1-10, was a 10. Most of the reviews were a 10++ or higher (there was a 10++++++ at the upper end) and the comments were all similarly raves. How could I not give the book a try?

So, I read it today and am pleased to report that it lived up to the buzz from the back cover reviewers. It is a novel, not really traditional "chick lit" and not romance and not mystery, just a good, old fashioned story. I love discovering new-to-me authors and plan to check out more of her books (she's written several others) when I head to the library tomorrow to return this week's stack.

The book, which I'll gladly recommend to you now (as I know you're all dying of suspense, right?) is The Queen of the Big Time by Adriana Trigiani. If you're looking for a good weekend read or a waiting-in-the-carpool-lane/at-football-or-hockey-practice read, this would be an excellent choice! If you do read it, let me know what you think of it. In the meantime, I'm about to fill in that last reviewer's spot inside the back of the book with my verdict.

6 comments:

nikkicrumpet said...

I've not heard of her. I usually like my books kinda scary, and edge of your seat. Although I'll read anything Janet Evanovich writes..and I stray from time to time and read a bit of girlie fluff. I guess I'll have to look for this one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gretchen said...

I'm definitely a chick-lit type of reader. But I'm up for anything new.

One book I read this summer, on the suggested reading list from the Early Show on CBS, was "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. It was fantastic! NOT chick lit. It is written from the perspective of a dog. Hard to explain but SO worth it.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. I have just reserved it at the library - I should get it before I go on vacay to the beach this Friday! Yea me!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog in a google alert tonight and I just had to comment about your Mama for Obama graphic thingee to the left. You know what I say about that? GO OBAMA!!!!! ;o)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I read this post. I have been reading a Harlan Coben novel, "The Woods," and am almost done.

I was wondering what to read next. The Queen and the Racing in the Rain books sound intriguing.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Oh and I know this isn't the correct post, but sorry to hear about your IEP/school woes. I've got to hand it to you....keep up the good fight for your little one!

I feel your pain!

Sandie aka Quirky

CynthiaK said...

Can't wait to check this one out. Always on the prowl for a good new read.

Ronnica said...

This sounds really good! I just ordered it from Paperback Swap.