Monday, October 27, 2008

In the land of the free and the home of the brave

Someone stole my Obama/Biden yard sign. Took it right off the metal frame. It was the only yard sign of any political affiliation in our entire neighborhood, so I don't know if someone objected to my politics specifically, or just to the political signage in general. Either way, I was ticked. (I also checked with the county Democratic Committee and found out they still have a supply, so I can get a replacement if I can find the time to drive downtown and get another one.)

I stormed up here to my computer and was all ready to fire off a soapboxy rant about the stealing of my sign when I saw this post over on my dear friend Coco's blog. Now that I've read this definite food for thought, I'm not nearly so fired up to complain about my sign being stolen anymore. Warning, the post is NOT easy to read.

So, yeah, all in all, I guess I'm just glad I live somewhere where I have the option of putting a sign supporting my candidates of choice in my yard, or on my car, or on my blog...

6 comments:

Ash said...

I've got a couple in my neighborhood I can lay a hand on...not that I would...just saying.

Em (off to read Coco - thanks for the warning)

Unknown said...

If you had a "Vote for Lizzy" sign, that never would have happened...

LOL

I don't understand the stealing of the sign thing... Like all of a sudden you're going to forget who you're voting for????

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you already saw this http://www.greeblemonkey.com/2008/10/has-someone-stolen-your-obama-yard-sign.html, but if you have time to get a new sign you might want to add this disclaimer, "each time you steal my sign I donate more money to Obama."

nikkicrumpet said...

I would love to sympathize with you on this one...but I'm gonna admit this...don't kill me...don't hate me...but I wish that every obama sign on the PLANET would disappear. He is one very scary dude. Not that I would ever steal yours or anyone elses sign. I do believe wholeheartedly in freedom of speech!

Ronnica said...

I think you know that I'm not an Obama supporter (and if you didn't know that before, you know that now). But I find this kind of behavior immature, unacceptable, and petty, regardless of what sign is being stolen or vandalized.

Yesterday an Obama supporter came by our apartment looking for a past resident. She was a super sweet woman, probably in her 50s. When she realized I wasn't the woman she was looking for, she simply asked me if I had voted yet, I said no, then asked me if I knew who I was voting for, and I said yes (for simplicity sake, I change my mind about 5x a day, but apparently it was made up at that moment), and she asked if it was Obama, and she simply said, "Oh, shucks" or something similiar and wished me a good day. That's the kind of political supporter we all should be.

Sue said...

sorry about your sign, I wish I could find one, it surely would be front and center in my yard! Aren't you so sick of these people saying Obama is scarey!!! I am fed up with the fearmongering and lies, I can't wait til this election is over and we have our WELL-QUALIFIED, NON-SCAREY President Obama!!! YAY!!!