Thursday, July 3, 2008

Really delicious raspberry pie

We are lunching with my BFF tomorrow at her new house down in the Finger Lakes. The kiddo is mostly excited about this because of BFF (who is also the kiddo's godmother)'s two Labs. The kiddo has been talking about the upcoming visit with great anticipation all week, even insisting on calling BFF at work to leave her messages a few times. (BFF was busy hobnobbing with Hillary Clinton yesterday, which is why the kiddo got her voicemail. BFF leads a very exciting life compared to our more humble existence - the only hobnobbing we did yesterday was with a bunch of ducks on the Erie Canal.) The only thing that could be more exciting than a visit to BFF and her two doggies? Helping Mommy make dessert to bring with us tomorrow!

This will be the first raspberry pie of the season (raspberries are not in season here quite yet, but that isn't actually crucial to the recipe anyhow), and the first time that I've made one with the kiddo. I first made this pie about 15 years ago, and have made it every summer since. I don't remember where I first came across the recipe, but man am I glad I found it back in the day! Being cold and fruity makes it a great summertime dessert, though transporting it can be tricky. I've actually done it in a baking dish, sort of deep-dish style, for easier transport in the past. I have a feeling the kiddo's favorite parts of helping me make this will be crushing the vanilla wafers and whipping the cream (unless Mommy is mean and whips the cream in the KitchenAid instead of with the electric beaters), as well as any taste-testing necessary, plus beater-licking of course. (Hmmm, that sounds a bit off-color, doesn't it?) Recipe as follows:

Raspberry Pie

20 ounces frozen raspberries, thawed
2.5 cups Vanilla Wafers, crumbled
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 package unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup very cold water
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 pint heavy (whipping) cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
fresh raspberries for garnish

Drain raspberries, reserving 1 cup of the juice. Combine crumbs, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon and the butter, press into a 10-inch pie plate to form crust. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes and let cool.

Soften gelatin in water. Mix the reserved raspberry juice, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and lemon zest in a medium saucepan. While stirring, heat to a boil. Remove from heat, add gelatin and stir until it has completely dissolved.

Chill until mixture just begins to thicken. Whip half of the pint of cream with vanilla extract. Fold raspberries, gelatin mixture and whipped cream together.

Pour into cooled pie shell. Whip other half pint of cream and spread over top. Garnish with fresh raspberries. Enjoy!

1 comment:

KatBouska said...

Mmmmmm...raspberry pie!! I made one once when I was just dating my husband. He looked at me...then it...then me again and said "you taste it first." I haven't made one since!

Maybe it's time...

...but raspberries are EXPENSIVE!!