Monday, December 15, 2008

Breakfast of champions

You know how I told you about how all we could manage to eat of my delicious birthday cake yesterday was a teensy sliver apiece, because we were so full from lunch?

When I woke up this morning, all I could think about was that carrot cake, sitting in the fridge, almost whole. I turned to my beloved Hubby and I said to him "I'm so totally having a piece of birthday cake for breakfast." Hubby, well he just shook his head. A short while later, Kiddo woke up and stumbled into the room, sleepy-eyed and blinking in the artificial light of what passes for morning in upstate NY in December, and I asked her "Would you like carrot cake for breakfast?" Hubby shook his head again. He was mildly aghast at the thought of feeding our child cake for breakfast, but I don't think he really thought I would. I mean, he didn't put up any more strenuous objection than the head shaking, and perhaps a mumbled comment or two about feeding Kiddo cake and then sending her off to school...

Which, I did. I totally did. After Kiddo had her banana and her vitamin, I cut her a (modestly sized) slice of carrot cake and another (much less modestly sized) slice for myself. Poured her a glass of milk and myself a glass of Mountain W (our local grocery store's generic for Mountain Dew - Mama's getting old and needs her caffeine) and down we sat. It was quite a cheery breakfast hour, I must say. All I could think of was this:




Not that Dr. Cosby's excellent reasons behind "cake for breakfast" don't have enough merit on their own, mind you, but this was CARROT cake. CARROTS = Vegetables. Plus, it was cream cheese frosting. Many a time, Kiddo has cream cheese on her morning toast. Totally appropriate breakfast choice, I think! I mean, this was so completely like those "sneak healthy foods into things your kids will eat" books that Jerry Seinfeld's wife and all those other mommy geniuses are forever plugging on morning TV. Totally like that, except much less work, as all I had to do was slice and serve. (Well, Kiddo carried her own plate to the table, so really, all I had to do was slice.)

In closing, while it is true that I really should be praised for my clever way of getting Kiddo to eat veggies for breakfast, and it is a good thing that Hubby is more of a head-shaker than a conniption-thrower, let's still just keep this between us, mmmkay? (I know Kiddo won't rat me out - she knows who'll give her cake for breakfast!)

22 comments:

Ronnica said...

I think any cake makes for a good breakfast (hey, my birthday breakfast was donuts, how is that different?), but carrot cake is also particularly appropriate. Good for you for living a little!

Oh, and I posted my answers for you in the comment section of my post.

Unknown said...

LOL...nope she wont rat you out...she knows who gives her cake! Cute post!

Jennifer said...

I say it's the perfect breakfast! Wish I had some...

Thanks for the vermin advice. I wih I could get a cat but I'm terribly allergic. Maybe a hairles one? I wonder if those are hypoallergenic?

Ash said...

Thanks for the laugh! My favortie Cosby of all time.

"Dad is great. Give us the chocolate cake!"

Off to put my pumpkin pie breakfast dishes in the sink...

Unknown said...

My children had candy canes for breakfast on Friday so I'm not about to point the finger at you.

Anonymous said...

"Dad is great! Give us the chocolate cake!"

Oh. I love this show, and this skit in particular.

Happy Belated Birthday, babe. And eat all the cake you can. It's CARROT cake. Practically a food group.

P.S. Bean ate 4 cookies tonight. FOUR. He's a bouncy maniac. But I couldn't resist that little face.

Kelsey said...

Carrot cake is by far healthy! Come on, carrot, walnuts, Protein - what more do you want!?

I'm jealous at the thought of cake for breakfast lol.

Finding Normal said...

I would totally eat cake for breakfast, and I will someday let my kids eat it. It all evens out in the end, right?

Carrie said...

Totally acceptable...

Twisted Lisa said...

I KNEW you were going to post that video before I scrolled down. I am totally hip with cake for breakfast!

Unknown said...

I had to laugh. While I have never given my kids cake it is my ritual to eat ma birthday cake (when I have one) the next morning with my morning coffee. And when I buy the apfelkuchen and there's leftovers, yep, breakfast again. After all it is apples :)

Elisabeth said...

I am so sorry! I missed your birthday! Hope it was Happy! I love carrot cake--for breakfast or otherwise! I think it constitutes as a healthy breakfast too--I mean, it does have carrots!

I can't believe your story about Kiddo! That would've made me feel awful too. Isn't it funny how kids are so resilient sometimes? He is doing much better today....sleeping now. Thank God!

Vickie said...

Oh my gosh, this is so funny. As I was reading your post, I was thinking of Bill Cosby and then I saw his picture!!!

Hey, you did give her a vitamin.

Hey,on the weekend, I gave my kids those cookie 100 calorie packs.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Mmmm carrot cake. So after that, what did you have for dessert?

BloggessJ said...

I LOVE me some Bill Cosby! Chocolate/Carrot cake is a great breakfast!

April said...

I'm visiting from SITS. I can't count the times I've eaten cake for breakfast...as well as my girls. Hey, birthdays roll around just once a year so, ENJOY!

Green said...

visiting by way of SITS, a fellow upstate NY'r

Anonymous said...

Before I even scrolled down and saw that you embedded the Cosby video his skit on cake for breakfast was exactly what I was thinking of as I read this. It's going to have me giggling all day long.

Happy belated birthday!

Esme said...

Absolutely no difference between carrot cake and a carrot muffin in my book. I've given the kids sweet potato pie and apple crisp for breakfast, too.... sweet potato is FULL of vitamins, and apple crisp is just granola with baked apples, right?

Exactly.

Burp.

Tiffany said...

Cake is great for breakfast. Isn't that what donuts are? Cake with holes. Love Bill Cosby!

Unknown said...

Oh, yeah. I'm right there with you. Cake, pie, fruits, vegetables. It's all good.
I noticed on SITS taht yesterday was a rough day for you. ME too! I totally wished for a reset button, too. I even blogged for it it last night! :)

Cathy said...

Stopping by from SITS...I totally agree that carrot cake is a food group and perfectly acceptable for breakfast!