Saturday, July 18, 2009

Saturday in the park

Despite ominous predictions of rain and clouds today (it was deemed the "washout" of the two weekend days just last night by one local meteorologist), it was sunny, albeit cool, for pretty much the whole day.

So, we decided to head off to the park up the road and pay a visit to the fish hatcheries with their teeming hordes of hungry fish. Good thing I had a pocket full of quarters for the fish food pellet dispensers!

Here's Kiddo feeding one of the pools of two year old fish (they were all different kinds of trout). The two year olds had that "swarm" thing down pretty well.



Kiddo realized that feeding the older fish required some dexterity...



...because the fish were quite splashy in their quest to Get Those Pellets In Mah Belly!




A better shot of Kiddo getting splashed in thanks for all her efforts at staving off the fishies' hunger:



The perpetrators of the "Ewwww, I'm covered in fishy water" crime:





Alas, Kiddo wasn't the only one who got splashed! (Hubby also got doused a few times, but I didn't capture that for posterity, as it turns out):


(Yes, I know I haven't had that pedicure yet. I haven't chickened out, I swear! I'm going to do it at the beginning of August so my feet look purty poolside when we got to Disney next month!)

This was an entirely candid shot. I have no idea why Kiddo had this look on her face as she looked over at us, but hee!



Another candid that cracked me up. Kiddo was either singing to or calling to the fish as she fed them... Feed the fish, tuppence a bag (or, rather, a quarter a handful, as the case may be)...



On our way back to the car (in that pouring down rain...), I asked Hubby to get a picture of Kiddo and me in front of some pretty flowers. Our faces came out kind of shadowed so I had to lighten it up to see our faces, and Kiddo's hair was blowing in my face so it's kind of pixelated looking, but it's still us along with the pine cone Kiddo picked up and decided we needed to bring home. At least we didn't bring any of the voluminous amounts of goose poop that was everywhere around the hatcheries home with us...



Last but not least, here's an updated shot of Kiddo's room, all moved into and lived in now, featuring a cameo appearance by Crazy Cat, who was perching atop Kiddo's easel and giving Mad Eye Glow. Yes, Kiddo *does* sleep with that many stuffed animals on her bed (and actually there still are a few more bags of stuffed animals we haven't unpacked yet). It's an SPD thing...

(Kiddo's in-town Grandma is making her some tiebacks out of a cute pink fabric with white polka dots, and in the meantime I tied the curtains back with some pink gingham ribbon. I'll post an update once those are in place and the safari animal photo decals go up next weekend.)



Now it is evening, Kiddo's about ready to head to bed, the clouds have rolled in and the rain is falling. So glad we had a whole nice day before the weather predictions came true! Hope you're enjoying the weekend in your neck of the woods!

6 comments:

Andy said...

I love the way the cat is staring at you with a WTF? look on her face.

Paige said...

I love that pic of her getting splashed--that is a classic

And her room looks GREAT!

Givinya De Elba said...

Splashed by fish? that sounds like "SUMMER" to me - lap it up Kiddo!

Do you now have your shizzle back, or was this pre-shizzle-loss?

feefifoto said...

I used to have a similar experience at the petting zoo when I was her age, although we weren't petting fish. We'd get these baby bottles filled with milk to feed the baby goats and they'd storm all the little kids -- er -- children. I dropped every bottle in panic and cowered.

Ronnica said...

Those shots of Kiddo made me laugh!

Anonymous said...

Looks like such a great day! Love the room!!!