Monday, July 6, 2009

Monday Musings: Think you're a movie buff?




I consider myself to be quite a movie buff. Granted, I don't see as many movies in the theaters now as I did back in the pre-Kiddo days (and those that I do see tend to run more towards Up - a fantabulous, amazing movie BTW - than There Will Be Blood) but still, I still love the movies - almost any genre, in any language, from any era. (The poster above, incidentally, used to adorn my bedroom wall, and in college I had black and white movie stills decorating my dorm room.)

So, I was intrigued when a friend (hey, Xanny!) posted a link on her Facebook page to a list of the All Time Box Office, as adjusted for ticket price inflation. In other words, what movies *really* were the most popular, ever, at least in terms of the bucks they raked in during their theatrical release. I immediately clicked over and began to count. I've seen 23 out of the top 25, myself, and 83 out of the top 100. Not too shabby.

If you want to check it out for yourself, you can find the list here. How many have you seen? Any on there you want to see and just haven't yet? How can only one of the Harry Potter (NINE MORE DAYS WOO-HOO) films make the list, but all three Shreks and all three Spidermans (Spidermen?) be on there? Hmmmm. Anything not on here that you think ought to be? Anything on here you've never even heard of? What movies are in your all-time top ten? Mine are (in no particular order):

Sense and Sensibility
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Sting
Goodfellas

Cinema Paradiso
Braveheart
Out of Africa
The Muppet Movie
The Princess Bride

Truly, Madly, Deeply

I also love all the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies, the Monty Python movies (especially Holy Grail and Life of Brian), E.T., Traffic, The Natural, Rounders, Love Actually, Glengarry Glen Ross, L.A. Confidential, Memento, the Pixar movies (did I mention Up? Go see it - but maybe
not with the younger kids) and of course all the 80s movies like The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Beuller's Day Off.... Okay, I could go on all day, but I won't - your turn!

4 comments:

Ronnica said...

Sense and Sensibility is definitely one of my favorites. There would also be some Ocean and Pirates in there, too.

DiPaola Momma said...

I heart almost all of the remakes of the Divine miss Austen's work. I shun ANY list that does not include ALL of the Harry Potter Movies!!! I'm a big buff too.. lots more of the Indy stuff though. Up was great huh? We actually took the kids to the drive-in back in the hick town I'm from (we were just visiting, wheew!). Four Weddings and a Funeral didn't make it? Daarrrling, the HP trailer is even FAB.. I got all goose pimply in the theather this weekend.. wish you could TiVo trailers in the theather and replay them!

said...

I unspeakably adore Cinema Paradiso. And Sense & Sensibility - both I have on DVD also.

Stopping by from Welcomistas :o)

Jennifer said...

I kept trying to count the ones I've seen--but my phone kept ringing and I gave up! Somewhere between 70-80?

My top movies are:
Rosemary's Baby
Silence of the Lambs
Remains of the Day
Fur
Planes Trains and Automobiles
The first 2 Rocky movies...

I'm sure I'm forgetting some!