Thursday, January 15, 2009

My life on the D list

Hello, everyone. I know, I know, I haven't been around the blogosphere much this week. There's even been speculation that I whacked my head on something at the gym and passed out or fell into a snowbank or skidded off into a ditch somewhere...

Well, I'm not
Dead (yet). Though that does fit with the overall theme of this week: the letter D. Because of all my D stuff, I haven't been feeling much like posting. For example,

I've been stuck in the Doldrums. (Is it just me, former Child Bookworm turned Adult Bookworm, who cannot read/see/hear the word "doldrums" without instantly thinking of The Phantom Tollbooth? That was one of my favorite books as a kid...) I've just been feeling generally blah. It's a combination of not sleeping well, Aunt Flo, and our weather of late, which has been rather

Dreary. More like Downright cold, actually. Ridiculous windchills and Arctic weather fronts which all combine to make every last centimeter of my skin most horrifically

Dry and really, really itchy. There aren't enough lotions or moisturizers in the world to combat this adequately. Especially my face - I have the worst time finding a moisturizer that works but doesn't leave my skin feeling slimy or make me break out. (If anyone has any suggestions for a cheap - read: available at Target or Walmart, not Sephora or a department store brand type thing - and effective moisturizer, I'd love to hear them...)

Also, I've been
Dealing with a good bit of Drama of the five-and-a-half year old variety. As in sass, attitude and Disrespect. Always very Draining to have to deal with that Day in and Day out. Fortunately, Kiddo seems to have pulled her shizzle together as of today (we had a Long and Serious talk while waiting for the bus this morning about improving the attitude) and today went well both at school and afterwards. Well enough that I consented to host a birthday party for her beloved pet tiger, Roary. Complete with birthday cake (actually, a Doughnut that Kiddo picked out after school), candle, singing and party games. A certain group of Kiddo's stuffed animal menagerie attended; I'm not sure if the rest weren't invited or simply declined to come all the way downstairs from the warmth of her flannel sheets where they've been huddling.

I also have been a bit
Depressed. General worry about Life and All That Entails, including concern about the Future and various family members and the State of the Country and World, etc. In more self-centered concerns, I've also been bummed (pun intended) about the wide, wide expanse of my Derriere. Yes, I've been faithfully going to the gym per my New Year's Resolution, and I know it is too soon to expect to see major results, but would it be wrong to just hope for a little miracle? Couldn't I hop on the locker room scale and have to slide the big weight Down to the 150 notch? How about one muscle showing some Definition? Humph.

So, anyhow, there you have it. Blah Heather in the
Doldrums. Certainly nothing that anyone wants to read about, eh? I have other stuff I've thought about posting about, like some recent Discussions that have taken place with Kiddo and a positively Disgusting exchange I overheard at the grocery store yesterday, but I am getting grumpy all over again from my whining thus far. I can't stand myself when I'm Down and Dismal, so I must shake off the funk and quit my kvetching.

Instead, I shall give a belated but heartfelt shout-out to the always
Delightful Eudea-Mamia, who bestowed upon me this lovely blog bling:

I don't know that I
Deserve it, but it is very, very much appreciated. Thank you!

Thus concludes my big, fat,
D list. At least the week should be ending better than it began, albeit with more of D same.... We are going out to Dine (a Delayed anniversary celebration), also to see Disney on Ice *and* we have a Day off on Monday. That makes for a much better weekenD than the week so far! Stay tuned for further Developments once I'm no longer Down in the Dumps! Now it is time to start thinking about Dinner, after which I plan to watch Grissom's Departure from CSI *sniff sniff* while eating some Dessert. (Yes, I know that ice cream is counterproductive when I'm trying to shrink and tone and turn my Jabba the Huttness into Heather the Hotness, but sometimes, a girl's just gotta have her bowl of ice cream, y'know?)

And now, I will leave you with a
Doldrums-Defying Ditty, courtesy of my good pal Ernie (with an able assist from the fantabulous Cookie Monster):



15 comments:

Unknown said...

wow... that's a lotta D's@!!!!!!! hope you feel happier... stay warm and safe and snug!

Givinya De Elba said...

I loved your D post, especially as I feel much the same! Ernie was good.

kristin said...

" I've just been feeling generally blah. It's a combination of not sleeping well, Aunt Flo, and our weather of late, which has been rather

Dreary. More like Downright cold, actually. Ridiculous windchills and Arctic weather fronts which all combine to make every last centimeter of my skin most horrifically

Dry and really, really itchy."


OMG, I. could. Have. Written. THAT!

Anonymous said...

Aww! Here's a ((((HUG)))) for you, my love! I hope you feel better soon.

Have you tried Eucerin for the bod and Olay regenerist daily for the face?

Carrie said...

I highly recommend Neutrogena Moisture for your face. I've never found anything that works better! It's about $10 at Wally-world or Tar-zhay and lasts for a million years!

I've had a bit of the blahs myself lately.

And here I thought you were just ignoring me. " )

Gretchen said...

I will second Neutrogena for moisturizer. I use the one that is $15 at Target - it is moisturizer, SPF 30, and has a light tint too. I just use it for foundation, now that I can't use "liquid makeup" anymore because it makes me look like a corpse. This stuff just mooshes right into my skin, and I don't feel bad about leaving it on when I go to bed because Hey! It's Moisturizer!! But seriously, try to find another facial moisturizer that's tinted that's NOT at a department store.... it's tougher than you might think.

Also, check out this comment from a post at mcmommy.blogspot.com: "I work in a Spa and get samples all the time. There is this ultra expensive cream....retail cost $85....that is amazing. I took the ingredient list to all the local drug stores and found the exact equivalent...for $5.99. Exact ingredients! It's Walgreens Nature's Finest Alpha Hydroxy Face Cream." She did a whole post about awesome beauty items for less than $10. The link is:http://themcmommychronicles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cheap-finds-for-09-beauty-edition.html

Unknown said...

wow what a dadgum dandy D post!!!! I am a fan of cocoa butter for dryness

Cristin said...

D'OH!! I have an obnoxious, er, sassy, five and a half year old here too... NOT. FUN.

Ronnica said...

Dude! You can Do the Ds! As far as moisturizer, I've enjoyed Olay's moisturizer and have had no problems with it. But I don't have especially sensitive skin.

I hope you find yourself out of the doldrums soon!

cheatymoon said...

Hi Heather - thanks for stopping by my place. I am sorry you're having a tough time. The freezing weather is not helping and January generally sucks, doesn't it?. The best cheap moisturizer I use is called Lac-Hydrin 5. It's about $15 for a huge bottle at CVS. Stay warm and have a great weekend!

Pearl said...

So funny!

And you had me at "The Phantom Tollbooth". I absolutely LOVED that book as a child. Love it so much I'd consider joining a group to talk about it. :-)

Pearl

p.s. Dry and itchy is right.

Mammatalk said...

Ah, sorry to hear you are in the duldrums (and yes, I love The Phantom Tollbooth!)

Los of sunny thoughts your way! :-)

Ash said...

I'm Delighted to see you back! (and the Youngest says thanks for the Ernie video).

I'm sorry you're in the dumps. I'm afraid I have no pearls of wisdom on that. I fight my own demons at times.

I might be able to help you with the chapped stuff - Boudreaux's Baby Butt Smooth, Dry Skin Ointment (at drugstore.com, etc.) - this stuff is incredible and works miracles on my Oldest's eczema.

Thanks for the shout out. You Deserve that, and more.

Take care, and stay warm!!

Errant said...

I love your blog .. and your last post .. and about moisturizers .. I have the same problem and i've finally found the best face moisturizer ever .. L'Occitane

WheresMyAngels said...

That was alot of work on the D's!!