Monday, August 4, 2008

Eeeeek!

So as if I wasn't already going to have enough trouble sleeping tonight, what with the potential for a repeat of last night's (oh, I probably should warn you, don't click on the upcoming link unless you want to see a really, really gross picture!) Hubby-as-Two-Face nightmare (*shudder*), well, I've got a new reason to watch the clock tick, tick, tick the hours down 'til morning now.

You see, we showed up at the gym for the kiddo's gymnastics class this afternoon to be met at the door by the coaches, who took me aside to let us know that there was "a problem" they needed to tell us about. It seems that during the camp that was held at the facility earlier that day, it was discovered that one of the campers had a raging case of head lice. They'd closed down the one area where the camper spent a good bit of time, but apparently the camper had also been in the gym where they do the gymnastics class, and the gym was being kept open because supposedly the lice can't survive in that atmosphere, blah blah blah. So, I could let the kiddo stay and roll around on the mats and whatnot for an hour, if I wanted to, but they just wanted to let us know the situation. How kind of them...

Needless to say, I opted (as did all the other parents, I do believe) to NOT have the kiddo stay for class today. Just in case. Because head lice? No thank you, not even if there is the sliiiiightest chance. Knocking serious wood here, but I've never had head lice, neither has the kiddo, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Of course, as soon as I heard the words "head lice" I began to feel itchy. Kind of like how I felt when my dear friend Coco mentioned the Ear Canal Visitor she had recently. The other moms and I, congregated outside the building and discussing the situation, came to a mutual understanding that we weren't going to tell the kids exactly what it was that caused the cancellation of class. We all just said "someone was sick and we don't want you to catch what they had" because if I'm itchy, whew, I can only imagine how the kiddo would take to the concept of teeny, tiny critters in her hair. That would guarantee me no sleep, as she'd be in my room waking me up from my nightmare (Hubby as Two-Face WITH head lice) to share her own......

I'm trying very hard NOT to google "Head Lice" or to even read the detailed (and illustrated) handouts the coaches gave to the parents this afternoon. I'd like to stay in the dark, please. The blessed, itch-free, critter-free dark.

Sometimes, I really rue my incredibly vivid imagination.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my....I was a little afraid to click on your links! Yeah, I would have high tailed it outta there too rather than chance lice!!! No way!!! Ok, the bug in the ear makes me want to constanly wear cotton in my ears now.

Thanks for stopping by today! I was reading some of your other posts as well. I too LOVE Harry Potter and can't wait for the new movie. And I wish I could go out and see new movies in the theater too....but since Z was born I pretty much have to wait for the DVD and then hope I can turn Noggin off long enough to watch it. :)

Anonymous said...

see those things don't creep me out too bad...don't like it but don't creep me out...Coco bug now that makes me want to hurl for her... remember when DD is in school full time the likelihood of lice is two fold..especially in the winter months...don't google

Scary Mommy said...

Lice is seriously one of my biggest fears. I will flip my shit should they ever find a way onto the heads of my children. My skin is crawling just from reading about them. ICK!!

Aunt Julie said...

I hope we've grown beyond catching lice at school, although as a teacher I still worry that I might get them! We did pick up bedbugs once at a hotel on vacation. Not a pretty sight! Hey, your Saturday Six *meme* is really making the rounds. Thanks for sharing! BTW, Uncle Lynn's doing another Great Pop'rs Giveaway--please drop by soon!

Aunt Julie said...

Thanks for the reading recommendations and best beach wishes. I'm going to the book store tomorrow afternoon--your pix are on my list! And please stop by again this week--we've got lots more fun in store!

Aunt Julie said...

Thanks for stopping in--every time I read this post it makes me itchy! BTW, Uncle Lynn is guesting on my blog today, so please pay us a visit!