Friday, May 15, 2009

Reflections in the dawn's early light

Ice packs that one can strap on to one's body are one of the best things, ever.

Sometimes, there is not enough Advil in the house. Even when one has an economy sized bottle.

The new house has a certain, clinging scent of Eau d' Oldster. It is improving with the removal of all the carpets and area rugs, and with opening the windows (something the previous owners apparently NEVER did), but it may take wallpaper removal and paint to banish it for good.

Good thing we're planning on removing wallpaper and paint.

We need a new showerhead and shower curtain in the master bath. (Hubby discovered this at around 5:45; I haven't attempted a shower in the new house yet myself.) Apparently, there was Major Badness when he attempted to use the Pepto Bismol Shower. Yikes.

We have traded the X-rated waterfowl of the old house for the Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds Social Club. And a nearby fire house with a siren. And a near-enough-to-hear-the-horn train tracks.

As I grew up in houses that were near fire houses and train tracks, neither of those sounds bothered me much. Kiddo seems to have slept through them as well.

They made some *ugly* wallpaper patterns in the late 60s.

One can survive on pizza, soda and donuts for a surprisingly long time.

I really need to go to the grocery store.

I really, really hate boxes.

TGIF y'all!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

wow good luck with all that... ive been downing advils myself at the rate of two every four h ours ... hope you feel better soon!!!

Creative Junkie said...

UGH - I remember feeling suffocated by the sheer number of boxes when we moved. UGH UGH UGH.

I can't wait to see what you guys do with the place!

Givinya De Elba said...

I'm so glad you're IN, and ready for that Extreme Home Makeover! I have nothing to say on the subject of boxes though.

Ronnica said...

I'm sure all the stuff you do will slowly add your odor (I can use that in a positive way, right?) to the house and nix the old. Oh, and I enjoy the sound of train...reminds me of home. (Funny thing, though, my parents only recently moved to a place where you can hear a train.)

LMAlphonse said...

Do you like the smell of coffee? If you put bowls of it (the grounds, not the brew) around the house, it absorbs all the other odors. Use cheap, already-ground-in-a-can stuff, and leave it out for about 48 hours. The coffee smell dissipates soon after that, and all the bad smells will be gone (or reduced) too.

I discovered this after my brother's dog got sprayed by a skunk while staying at my house. Good times, good times...

Glad you're in!

Elisabeth said...

Glad to hear you are getting settled in. You are so right--one can survive on pizza and doughnuts for quite some time! I love it! I myself never tire of a Dunkin' Doughnut Boston Creme--well, I usually eat at least 2. Yummo!

As for Advil: I am no doc, but after childbirth I was told I could take 600mgs every 4 hours. Muscle aches be gone!

kristin said...

I am SOOOOO glad I didn't bring donut holes when I came by today and I am also REALLY sorry that I didn't get the artichokes french for you - next time, I PROMISE!

Teresa said...

The new chaos store must be Pittsford Wegmans! Sadly, that is what every public place (grocery stores, farmer's market, zoo, aquarium, park, mall, etc) is like here in Atlanta -- every single weekend, every where you go. i just try to stay home. and shop on a weekday evening after Malcolm's asleep.

In the 4 days since this post, I'm guessing you've made great progress! We're cheering you on, all the way!