Saturday, March 6, 2010

Just one more reason I will never, ever be mistaken for Martha Stewart

Yesterday afternoon, I took Kiddo over to Target to scarf down some popcorn select presents for two upcoming birthday parties she was scheduled to attend (one of which was this afternoon).  Once we had finished agonizing over which thing to get for each friend and drooled over various Littlest Pet Shop items (her) and home decor items and new release books (me), we headed to the gift wrap and birthday card section.  I told Kiddo to pick out whatever gift wrap she wanted, within reason, as all I had located at home in any sufficient quantity was Christmas wrap.  She interpreted "within reason" to mean a roll of super-shiny, silver wrapping paper.  I was dubious but she was insistent and it was fairly cheap as well as being enough to wrap both of the presents chilling in our cart.  She was thrilled to have her shiny, silver paper and brandished the roll aloft the entire way out to the car.


Well, time was drawing nigh this afternoon for us to leave for the party.  While I had been secretly hoping Hubby would notice the birthday present, roll of wrapping paper and fancy, tri-color bow Kiddo had also picked out sitting up on the table and wrap it for me (as is customary in our house - I am *not* a good gift wrapper.  Sadly, I'm not even a good gift bagger; I lack the creative dexterity required to make tissue paper look pretty inside a gift bag.  This is why Hubby, who is able to neatly and precisely wrap anything, no matter its size or shape, is the Head Gift Wrapper in our family), it was about 20 minutes before we had to leave and Hubby was showing no signs of getting his wrap on.  He and Kiddo were firmly planted on the couch in front of the Syracuse basketball game, so I trudged upstairs to wrap it myself.  (Okay, so I said "Well, guess I'm going to go get the present wrapped now....................................." and waited a bit more, looking hopefully in the couch's direction.  Nothing but a "Let's go, Orange!"  Humph.)  I removed the shrink wrap from the roll and began to unroll it.  This is when I discovered a tiny, little problem..............

Turns out the "silver" paper?



Was not quite silver when unrolled........




Gift wrap FAIL.


I managed to save the day by locating a shiny, holographic, silver gift bag in the bin in the basement along with all the Christmas wrap.  Perfect for a 7 year old girl's birthday party, at least in Kiddo's expert opinion.  I even found some tri-color tissue paper that matched the bow exactly.  Whew.


Now I just need to come up with a project that needs lots of clear, cellophane wrap as I can't return it now that it's been open and manhandled.  How much do you want to bet I still have this roll in the basement ten years from now?


Just one more reason why I will never, ever be mistaken for Martha Stewart!


(On a tangential but sorta-kinda related note, how sweet was it that the birthday girl specifically asked her mom not to use any food dye in the frosting for the birthday cupcakes today, so that Kiddo would be able to have one?  This is the second time in the past two months that one of her classmates has made a point of requesting no food dye in party-related goodies just so that Kiddo could partake.  With Kiddo's life being so full of Sorry, you can't eat thats and Nope, we'll have to scrape all the yummy frosting off of this firsts, little things like this really touch me.  Yay for the kind hearts and compassionate natures of Kiddo's friends!!)

6 comments:

Andy said...

Too funny about the cellophane!

And YEAH! to great friends who help make kiddo feel included. That rocks!

Creative Junkie said...

wait ... cellophane looks silver when wrapped in a roll? I didn't know that. Move over on that I'M NOT MARTHA bench.

Teresa said...

I ***love*** cellophane wrap for presents! I first wrap the gift in solid color tissue paper, then very loosely in cellophane, with lots of extra cellophane on one end. I tape the cellophane in back, and then the bottom end of the present, then gather all the extra at the "top" and tie together with ribbon matching to tissue paper. Does my description make sense? The cellophane ends up looking like a clear bag that the tissue wrapped gift is inside of, gathered and tied at the top. I googled, but couldn't find a picture of what I mean.

Givinya De Elba said...

"Gift Wrap FAIL" - very funny phrase! Loved it!

Allegro ma non troppo said...

I use colour newspaper pages for wrapping. How lazy is that?

Claire Gutschow said...

LOVE your blog! I had a good laugh at this post bec I did the exact same thing a few months ago. So I too have rolls and rolls of clear cellophane to get rid of. Any ideas? Remember I'm craft-challenged...