Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Nine and a half hours

In nine and a half hours, we'll be leaving our house to take Kiddo for her eye surgery. I have been a bit of a total nervous wreck about this for a few days now. It got to the point where I couldn't even respond to an email, Facebook comment or tweet about it without tearing up if not actually breaking down into sobs.

Fortunately, around midday today, I found these:



And then I cowboyed up...



and I managed to otherwise pull myself together so that by the time Kiddo came home from school, not only was I able to hold up my end of pleasant but mindless chitchat with our neighbors as Kiddo went around our street selling Girl Scout Cookies, but I was able to explain to her about where she's going tomorrow instead of school (for School Picture day *and* Domino's Pizza Day, nonetheless) and what's going to transpire. Whew.

Still, despite my big girl panties and my cowboying up, I'm still going to be extremely glad when it is this time tomorrow and the surgery is behind us. Sigh. I've got a pile of books, DVDs and books on CD ready and waiting, as well as a list of folks who've offered to come by to visit the patient once she's up to it and a few new toys and arts and crafts things for when her vision is improved enough that she can play. I want to get to that point of the recovery and be beyond the dreading and the counting down and the waiting.

So, in all seriousness, please, if you are a praying sort of person, would you say a prayer for us tomorrow morning around 8:30am? I won't detail the nightmares I had last night or the even worse thoughts that ran through my head as I lay awake in between them, but suffice it to say my ridiculously overactive imagination is running haywire with the thoughts of scalpels and eyeballs and anesthesia and the bad things that can happen... So, please, say a prayer or send out good thoughts or whatever it is you might be able to do, because we'll need it.

Updates to come post-surgery... Also, if you want to buy some Girl Scout cookies, I know a kid who is about to be very brave and strong who is selling some...

3 comments:

Andy said...

Hang in there! It will all be over before you know it.


{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}

Givinya De Elba said...

Oh my. Sorry, I've only just realised that the big day is today (tonight our time).

If it's any consolation, the day was good here in Australia, so it will be good for you now in the US. That's the good thing about living close to the International Date Line: I can sample the day for you and tell you how it went.

I'd have some cookies in a heartbeat.

And I will pray all through tonight - whenever I am up feeding Joseph, I will pray.

Creative Junkie said...

Hey Heather - I'm thinking about you guys today! Hope all goes well. ((hugs))