Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Eye surgery update

We're home! The surgeon said it went very well. Kiddo is really, *really* miserable now. Her eyes hurt, her throat hurts from the intubation, she's vomiting... She's groggy but not so groggy that she is out of it and unaware of what's going on, so in true Stubborn Kid form, she's refusing to just go to bed and sleep it off. Instead, she's on the couch in the family room, tucked in with a contingent of her Stuffed Animal Entourage, a cool washcloth over her eyes, "watching" a DVD.

I'm so glad it is over and really hoping the healing goes well and completely and this surgery worked. She poked herself in the eye(lid) in the recovery room with the straw as she was leaning forward to sip some water, so now my overactive and extremely overtired imagination is envisioning complications from that. I am in dire need of sleep and food, having had neither of both since yesterday. Need to make sure she's okay first though.

The doctors, nurses and OR staff were all talking amongst themselves about how awesome a patient Kiddo was - cheerful, cooperative and extremely polite. She even used her manners when she was coming out of the anesthesia, demanding quite politely that they take the IV out and get her mom and dad using lots of "please"s. Heh. We also had a surprise visit from one of the other nurses there, who is the mom of one of Kiddo's friends from preschool. She came in to say hi and chat before the surgery and stopped by in the recovery room as well.

Thank you to everyone around the globe who said a prayer and thought good thoughts for us. It was very much appreciated!


Mammatalk said...

I am so glad it went well. What a worry!

Cristin said...

what a trooper!

what was the surgery for? I think I missed that part...

Teresa said...

Hooray for Kiddo! (and you!) Glad it's over with. keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!

Givinya De Elba said...

Oh I am so glad to come home and see you post. I was thinking of Kiddo when I was out today, hoping all went well.

As promised, I did pray for her whenever I was awake feeding Joseph overnight. And in true weird form, he went back to having a really long stretch of sleeping (7 hrs between feeds) so that meant there was only one middle-of-the-night feed, and that in turn meant I only prayed ONCE when I was sure I'd be praying for her twice or three times.

I was hoping that meant God was saying all was well :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I couldn't comment from work and home has been chaotic the last few days, but I was praying my guts out for Kiddo and you, babe.

I am SO relieved to hear the good news that all went well, though I hope kiddo is feeling better soon.

Poor sweetie. Poor Mommy. I prescribe ice cream for all.