Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The sound of silence

I am not going to moan about my sinuses and germies any longer, because I'm feeling mostly better and because I don't want to dwell on it - the pity party is over and I'm sweeping up the leftover confetti and loading the dishwasher now. I say mostly better because I appear to be losing my voice as the rest of everything improves. At the moment, I'm in between "phone sex operator" and "Barry White" which means that by day's end, I will likely be somewhere between "Darth Vader" and "no voice at all" if history is any guide. I'm trying to combat this in two ways. The first way is by not talking as much as possible. (Everyone who knows me, join in: HA HA HA HA HARDY HAR HA HA HEE HEE HOO HOO HAAAAA!!!) I know, I know, it is a Herculean task for Heather to not talk. BUT, it hurts like heck when I do, so I am trying to rest my voice until it heals. I haven't spoken since 9:08 this morning when I left preschool, and I don't intend to speak again until I'm back picking her up at 11:30. See? That will be over two whole hours without me uttering a peep! (Not a record, but surely close...) I've even written out my order for the butcher shop so I don't have to talk (um, as much) when we go in there.

The second thing I'm doing is drinking lots of tea, with honey and lemon.
Salada white tea, to be exact. No, I'm not just saying that because my dad is their VP of Marketing, either - it's seriously good stuff!

*brief pause*..... and I've just gotten off the phone with my sister. Yep, that means I didn't make it the full two hours without speaking, but she had to take my year-old niece to the ER last night for jumping out of her crib (one big lump on the noggin, no concussion, she's fine) so I kinda had to take that call. Well, I went over one hour without talking and am now back to my vow o' silence, at least 'til I arrive back at preschool in a bit.

One other thing. My dear friend Coco recently honored me with this lovely "blog bling" -

It was a very sweet thing for her to do, and I am humbled by Coco's gracious and kind comments about me. All I can say is, it is a mutual admiration society because Coco is one of my favorite people, ever, too. So, thanks and *mwah* Coco! I look forward to our eventual trip to Vegas mostly because it will mean getting to hang out with you, and not even so much because it would mean I'd be on a kid-free vacay for the first time ever since she was born (which was the last time I was in Vegas, too)! Not that any trip is imminent or even in the vaguest of planning, but someday.......

1 comment: