Saturday, July 17, 2010

You want fries with that?

Earlier this week, Kiddo and I went with some friends to the county fair.  While perusing the various dining options, we saw many traditional fair foodstuffs, like funnel cake, fried dough, snow cones, etc.  I mean, one doesn't go to a county fair for fine cuisine, after all.  Then, we came upon this booth:



Holy moly.  Now, I've eaten deep fried Oreos before and they're actually quite delicious.  However, I just couldn't help but feel like this particular food emporium has gone a wee bit over the top with its listing of deep fried fare.  Some things just shouldn't be deep fried, dontcha think?  Like, say, pizza.  That is just wrong!  (And this is coming from someone who is currently in the throes of major PMS and who would gladly dive head first into a giant bag of Fritos, followed by a supersized order of fries from Mickey D's and finish off by finishing off a bag of Double Stuff Oreos.  It isn't that I'm against junk food or grease or oil or deep frying, is what I'm saying, it's just that sometimes one can go too far.)  The stand didn't seem to be lacking for customers, however, so maybe I'm in the minority here, thinking that not everything tastes better when it's been deep fried.

(Also, I'm trying reallllllly hard not to comment on the grammatical error right there at the top of the stand's sign.  Reallllllllly hard.)

10 comments:

RMF said...

I was pleased to note that *you* spelled "Oreos" correctly, at any rate. :-)

Anonymous said...

You mean the apostrophe after Oreo?

I have seen Paula Deen deep fry lasagna and that is probably pretty good!

One thing I've seen on Food Network is Deep Fried Bacon....now that is just not necessary.

Smoochiefrog said...

Girl, send that photo to Apostrophe Catastrophe. She'll love it!

Emily Sue said...

I'm not sure anything needs to be deep fried except chips (fries), spring rolls, battered fish and potato cakes. Anything else is just overkill.

Cherry pie? Pizza? Cookies? Wow. Just no.

Givinya De Elba said...

I'm trying not to gag. We just don't fry stuff like that here. And I can't even handle too many chips (fries) without feeling like my skin is oozing oil.

I think I have to go and eat a carrot now.

Great post Heather! The things you see! Good on you for having your camera.

(Word verification = "haved" - how's that for grammatical error?)

Unknown said...

Did you say something? I was busy arranging this for you...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kzswzehxoj1qzvnxpo1_500.jpg

And, for the record, we don't fry stuff like that "here" either. Carnivals are like their own country, populated by what we call, "Carnies." They are a strange and mysterious people with magical powers like the ability to guess weights and ages, and the power to make adults want five-foot stuffed animals and deep fried butter.

Creative Junkie said...

omg. deep fried snickers? I have to say, that sounds ... gross and amazing at the same time.

(and your captcha says "blessed" ... is that a sign?)

Allegro ma non troppo said...

Gross.

Jen said...

I'm not a huge fan of deep fried foods but only because my ass knows they just aren't going to help things out at all. Having said that, deep friend pizza sounds wonderful, especially if it has the cheese stuffed crust.

I'd say something about the Oreos but everyone else already caught it.

claire Gutschow said...

Deep fried PBJ? Seriously? I'm the first person to trust the carnies on all things junk (they have mysterious powers... enough said) but that crosses the line. Stick to the pickles carnies, and leave the PBJ to us moms!